One of the best ways to illuminate a walkway or add decorative lighting to your landscaping is to add a few solar lights.
They’re simple to use, easy to install, and there are so many options available that you can truly create a look customized for your backyard or garden.
Whether you’re adding subtle accent lighting or looking for something with a little more flair, choosing the best solar garden lights is an ideal way to upgrade your space.
Table of Contents
- How to Choose Solar Garden Lights?
- Best Solar Garden Lights
- Best Solar Garden Lights Reviews
- 1. Solar Lights Bright Pathway Outdoor Garden
- 2. Solar Powered Ground Lights LED Solar Path Lights Outdoor
- 3. Nekteck Solar Powered Garden Spotlight
- 4. BrillyLight Elegant Solar Stake Lights Outdoor
- 5. Voona Solar LED Outdoor Lights Stainless Steel Pathway Landscape Lights
- 6. OxyLED Solar Garden Lights
- 7. Dapai Solar Garden Lights Outdoor
- 8. Homeimpro Garden Solar Lights Pathway Outdoor
- 9. GIGALUMI Solar Lights Outdoor Cracked Glass Ball Dual LED Garden Lights
- 10. GIGALUMI Solar Garden Lights Outdoor
- How to Install Solar Garden Lights?
- Solar Garden Light FAQs
How to Choose Solar Garden Lights?
The main thing to keep in mind when shopping for solar garden lights is what area you want to illuminate.
There are different types of lights and each one is used for a different purpose.
Solar path lights are smaller than other types and are meant to be pushed into the ground along a path or walkway. They’re meant to light up walkways to make them a little safer at night and add a decorative accent.
Path lights are usually pretty bright when compared to other solar light styles and the designs are usually pretty simple.
These lights are made with materials like colorful glass, mosaic tiles, or sculpted metal. They’re not as bright as solar path lights because they’re mostly designed for decoration and not to light up a long pathway in the dark.
The best thing about decorative solar lights is that they look just as good during the day as they do at night. They’re usually carefully designed and have a lot of interesting detail that really makes them great pieces of art.
Accent Solar Lights
These lights are not quite as fancy as decorative lights but add a little more decoration than path lights. They’re typically used to add glowing light to accent flowerbeds, trees, or plants and can add a lot to your landscaping.
Once you decide what type of light you need, there are a few other things to think about, too.
One of the most important is to find out how much sunlight is needed to charge the battery. Some of these lights need a lot of sun exposure to fully charge during the day and if you live in an area that doesn’t get a lot of sunlight, they’ll likely underperform.
You should also consider operating time. Some of these lamps will last all night with a fully charged battery while others might last a few hours. Decide if you definitely need something that’s going to last all night or if just a few hours after dusk is enough.
Finally, what kind of design fits the rest of your landscaping? Do you want something simple or something with a bit of edge or whimsy?
Best Solar Garden Lights
There are a lot of options when it comes to solar garden lights that serve different styles and functions. To help you figure out what will work best in your garden, it helps to compare everything side by side.
|Pictures||Solar Garden Lights||Working Time||Links|
|Solar Lights Bright Pathway Outdoor Garden||8-12 hours|
|Solar Powered Ground Lights LED Solar Path Lights Outdoor||8 hours|
|Nekteck Solar Powered Garden Spotlight||6 -10 hours|
|BrillyLight Elegant Solar Stake Lights Outdoor||8 hours|
|Voona Solar LED Outdoor Lights Stainless Steel Pathway Landscape Lights||8 hours|
|OxyLED Solar Garden Lights||8 hours|
|Dapai Solar Garden Lights Outdoor||6 -10 hours|
|Homeimpro Garden Solar Lights Pathway Outdoor||6 hours|
|GIGALUMI Solar Lights Outdoor Cracked Glass Ball Dual LED Garden Lights||8-10 hours|
|GIGALUMI Solar Garden Lights Outdoor||8-10 hours|
Best Solar Garden Lights Reviews
1. Solar Lights Bright Pathway Outdoor Garden
One of the best things about these garden lights is their size. At about 16.5 inches tall and 4.7 inches wide, they really make quite an impact and create a beautiful snowflake-like pattern.
They require 6 to 8 hours of sun exposure to fully charge and last between 8 to 12 hours.
- These lamps are made of stainless steel with a watertight diamond glass lampshade and a hard ABS plastic spike for long-lasting durability and a sleek modern look.
- You don’t have to worry about damage from rain, frost, sleet, or snow because these lights are waterproof and weather resistant.
- The 6500K LED bulbs produce bright, high contrast white light.
- If you’re not satisfied, you can return them within 30 days for a full refund.
- These lamps require a lot of sunlight to fully charge which can be difficult to get in certain climates.
- The brightness of the bulb fades over time.
2. Solar Powered Ground Lights LED Solar Path Lights Outdoor
This set of ground lights is one of the most effective ways to light up a walkway at night.
They’re low to the ground for improved visualization and create a gorgeous lighting effect that makes your garden shine.
- These lamps use a high-quality aluminum alloy that’s been anodized to make it waterproof and more durable while giving these lights a smooth, classy look.
- Each light uses 8 LED bulbs for a bigger, brighter range with a large-capacity battery that lasts for 8 hours when fully charged and works through occasional rainy and cloudy days.
- The large 5.4 square inch solar panels absorb as much sunlight as possible, improving efficiency and potentially storing more energy.
- These lights come with a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 90-day limited product warranty so you can try them risk-free.
- The plastic spikes are a little flimsy and can break if installed in a ground that is too firm or rocky.
3. Nekteck Solar Powered Garden Spotlight
One of the best things about these solar lights from Nekteck is they’re adjustable.
Not only can you direct the bulb to create the lighting effect you want, but you can also adjust the solar panel to make sure it’s getting as much exposure as possible.
- These lights feature versatile 2 in 1 installation and can be placed directly into the ground using the plastic spikes or mounted to a wall with the included screws.
- They are waterproof and heatproof and can withstand all types of weather.
- The large solar panels absorb more sunshine and fully charge the batteries in about 4 or 5 hours. This can power illumination for 6 to 10 hours at a time.
- These lights automatically turn off and on at dusk and dawn and also feature a manual on/off switch as well as high and low light modes which can help conserve energy if you don’t need them at full power every night.
- The bulbs produce warm yellow light rather than bright white.
- It can be hard to get the battery to charge during winter or other periods of low light.
4. BrillyLight Elegant Solar Stake Lights Outdoor
These easy-to-use stake lights have a shiny smooth silver finish and diamond style bulb that adds a touch of elegance to any yard.
Whether you want to illuminate a walkway or add decorative accents to your landscaping, these lights are a great choice.
- The lamp and pole are made of premium stainless steel with a clear plastic diamond lampshade. They’re also waterproof and can tolerate rain, sleet, snow, and frost.
- These lights come with a lifetime replacement guarantee. Just contact BrillyLight if you ever have any problems and they’ll replace your product, free of charge.
- With adequate sunlight, the battery fully charges in 8 hours and provides 7 to 8 hours of bright white light in a gorgeous, eye-catching pattern.
- These lights are waterproof and can operate in outdoor temperatures between -72 and 90 degrees F.
- These lights may not charge fully unless exposed to an adequate amount of direct sunlight.
- May not work well in climates where the temperature regularly goes above 90 degrees F.
5. Voona Solar LED Outdoor Lights Stainless Steel Pathway Landscape Lights
Not only do these lamps look sleek and elegant, but they also create a beautiful star pattern on the ground that adds a lot of character to your garden.
The stainless steel light and plastic lens create a sleek look that creates a perfect accent for your garden.
- Each light produces 6 lumens of warm white light and illuminates for up to 8 hours when the battery is completely charged.
- The sunburst star pattern is ideal for lining walkways and provides just enough illumination to light your way at night.
- The stainless steel design is exceptionally durable and weatherproof.
- These lights are covered by a 30-day guarantee. If you’re not satisfied, just return them for a full refund.
- The spikes can break if inserted into the hard ground so you may need to dig a hole before inserting them.
- These lights require direct sunlight to fully charge.
6. OxyLED Solar Garden Lights
For something that adds a bit of whimsy and color, take a look at these fun color-changing lights.
This three pack includes three different shapes: a butterfly, dragonfly, and a hummingbird. Your garden will look like a fairytale come to life when the sun goes down.
- These lightweight and durable lights are made using stainless steel, ABS plastic, and aluminum poles and the shapes are molded using high-quality clear acrylic.
- Each light is 30 inches tall so you can push them into the ground at different depths to create a staggered effect that suits your landscaping.
- When fully charged, these lights can last for up to 8 hours. They’re controlled with an on/off switch and can be set to turn on automatically when it’s dark or left off until you need to conserve power.
- These lights use OxyLED bulbs that cycle between 7 different colors and the fun shapes add a lot of character to your garden.
- Performance can be patchy at times.
7. Dapai Solar Garden Lights Outdoor
These solar lights from dapai are one of the most unique products that we found.
They look like a bouquet of pink and purple petunias during the day but at night the fiber optic bundles light up to create a whimsical and charming display. Plus, unlike with real flowers, there’s no special care needed.
- The bouquet has 20 flowers in all along with a bundle of fiber optics that changes between 7 different colors when they turn on at night.
- Each flower is made of high-quality fabric material that’s durable and BPA free. The solar panel is also water resistant and holds up even in rain or snow.
- This bouquet is highly flexible and adjustable so you can easily bend them into any shape you want to create the ideal look for your garden.
- They offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee that includes 60 days of free returns and a 360-day free replacement warranty.
- This product looks much better at night than it does during the day.
8. Homeimpro Garden Solar Lights Pathway Outdoor
For a solar light that’s also a gorgeous piece of art, take a look at this light from Homeimpro.
The stainless steel half-moon shape holds an orb that glows when the sun goes down but also looks great during the day. This is a great choice if you’re looking for something primarily decorative.
- This light charges during the day and turns on automatically when it gets dark. It also has an automatic timer that turns off after 6 hours of run time to conserve battery life.
- The durable construction and weather resistant materials provide long-lasting performance in most weather conditions.
- The LED light inside the glass orb is bright white and creates interesting patterns as it shines through the glass and the metalwork.
- This product is covered by a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You can get a refund or replace it within 180 days by contacting the manufacturer.
- This light requires a lot of direct sunlight to charge effectively.
9. GIGALUMI Solar Lights Outdoor Cracked Glass Ball Dual LED Garden Lights
These lights are a good balance of classy decor and fun lighting effects. They feature a silver base with cracked glass ball light and can be set for either color changing LEDs or bright, white light.
They’re perfect for lighting a walkway or as a decorative touch in your plants or flower beds.
- These lights can work continuously for 8 to 10 hours once the battery is fully charged.
- The weatherproof design tolerates rain and snow as well as bright and sunny days for a long-lasting design.
- Choose between single-color white light for bright illumination or the color changing mode for gradual shifts from blue to red to green to create a more romantic atmosphere at night.
- This 3-pack is covered by a 1-year replacement or risk-free refund warranty.
- These lights need to be in bright sunlight for 8 hours to completely charge.
- Some of the bulbs aren’t as bright as expected.
10. GIGALUMI Solar Garden Lights Outdoor
Another great option if you’re looking for something decorative and function are these solar lights from GIGALUMI.
They can be used to line a walkway, add pops of color to your shrubs and bushes, or as a stunning way to add some outdoor mood lighting.
- Each lamp in this set of 3 has a different but complimentary mosaic tile design in either blue, purple, or yellow themes. The tiles are made of glass which allows sufficient light to shine through.
- The stainless steel base is durable and weatherproof so it can withstand snow, rain, and bright sun.
- One the battery is fully charged, it can work continuously for 8 to 10 hours.
- These lights are covered by a 1-year replacement or refund warranty so you can buy try them out risk-free.
- These lamps are pretty small, only about 2-inches in diameter.
- The light that they give off isn’t very bright.
How to Install Solar Garden Lights?
One of the best things about using solar garden lights is that they’re so easy to install.
There is some minor assembly required for most styles and then all you have to do is stick them in the ground. Just make sure that you place them in an area where they’ll get plenty of sunlight during the day.
Solar lights usually have a long stake and all you have to do to install them is push the stake into the ground right where you want the light to be. That’s it. There’s no wiring or electrical components which makes them really easy to set up.
One more thing, if your solar lights have plastic stakes and the ground is particularly firm or rocky, you should use a small shovel to pre-dig a hole for the stake to go into. Trying to force it into the ground could result in the plastic breaking.
Solar Garden Light FAQs
1. How does a solar garden light work?
The most important part of solar light is the solar cell, the small dark panel that converts sunlight into direct electrical current. It’s made up of multiple layers of silicone and chemicals and uses the power of the sun to excite positive and negative charges which generate electricity.
This process occurs during the day as the panel is exposed to the sun and charges the battery. When the sun goes down, these reactions stop. A sensor in the light detects when it’s dark outside and the battery begins to supply power to the bulb.
The cycle repeats every single day as long as the light is getting enough sunlight to generate power. This can be tricky in winter since there may not be enough sunlight available to generate a good charge.
2. Why are my solar garden lights not working?
There are a lot of possible reasons why solar lights aren’t working, including problems with the battery, inadequate sunlight, or dirt on the solar panel.
A lot of people assume that the problem with solar lights is automatically lack of sunlight but that’s not always the case. See if your solar lights have a troubleshooting guide to help you figure out what the problem could be.
3. How to fix a solar garden light?
Here are some things you can try to get your solar lights working again:
- Make sure that they’re turned on. Most solar lights come with an on/off switch that’s usually located on the underside of the lamp itself. No matter how much power the battery has, the light won’t turn on if it’s set in the off position.
- Check for a pull tab. If you’ve never used your solar lights before and can’t figure out while you can’t get them to work, check the battery and make sure the pull tab is removed. This is a safety feature put in place for storage and transport but your light won’t work until it’s removed.
- Make sure the solar panel is positioned to properly catch the sun. This isn’t always easy to do since the sun might not reach where you want the lights set up. One way to get around this is to use lights with an adjustable solar panel so you have a bit more control.
- Clean the solar panel. It’s pretty easy for these solar panels to get a little dirty. They get splashed with mud and dirt from your garden regularly so it’s important to keep the solar panel clean so it gets as much sun exposure as possible.
- Turn it off for a day or two to allow for a long charging period. This is the best way to make sure the light is actually getting a full charge. If it works, it’s a good idea to do this every few days to keep things working smoothly.
- If all else fails, contact the manufacturer. Some of these solar lights do come with warranties and you can get a new one or even a refund if they aren’t working properly. They may be able to give you some troubleshooting hints, too.
4. How to make solar garden lights brighter?
The more power the light has, the brighter it will be so the first thing you should do is to make sure the lights are charging properly.
Clean any debris off of the lights early in the morning so you can remove anything that’s blocking out the sunlight for a better charge.
Move the lights to a brighter location if necessary to get the most sunlight possible but make sure they won’t be covered in the shade as the day goes on. You can even leave them off for a night or two to make sure they’re getting a full charge.
Turn the lights on when night falls and, hopefully, they’ll be brighter. If not, you can try removing the housing and cleaning out any debris that may be inside the light and preventing a decent charge. This is common in areas with a lot of wind and rainy weather.
Check the battery compartment for corrosion which affects the effectiveness of the battery’s connection. If you find rust, remove the battery and use a small roll of fine grit sandpaper to gently remove the corrosion from the battery terminal. Then, replace the battery or use a new one.
If you do determine that you need a new battery, take the old one with you to the home improvement store so you know you’re getting the right replacement.
5. How to clean solar garden lights?
For a thorough cleaning, the first thing you should do is disassemble the light. Most models include instructions telling you how to take the lights apart, just be very careful with the solar panel as they are very fragile.
Once you take it apart, check for any batter oxidation. This looks like a white, powdery substance and is really easy to clean, just use a small, soft brush to remove it or replace it if necessary.
To clean the solar panel, use a soft lint-free cloth to gently clean the surface. Make sure to remove any dirt, bugs, or other debris from inside the light itself.
The stake and the rest of the lamp can be wiped down with a wet cloth or even washed in the sink depending on what they’re made of. Glass, plastic, and metal can all be easily cleaned with water and a gentle dish detergent if needed.
Once everything is dry, just reassemble the lamp and it’s ready to go outside again. Remember, these lights are outside all day, every day and come into contact with a lot of dirt, grime, bugs, and moisture. It’s a good idea to clean them every few weeks to make sure they keep working properly.
Good solar garden lights can really transform your whole backyard. They’re simple to use, easy to install, and there are so many styles available that you’ll be able to create just the look you want.
The first thing you have to decide is what kind of lights you need. Do you want to light up a walkway or driveway? Add accents among your flower beds or shrubs? Or are you looking for something that is a true piece of art?
There are solar lights out there for every taste and style and we found something for everyone in our top products. Whether you want simple accent lights or beautiful bouquets that light up at night, there’s something here for you.